You are number:

Wish To Follow Me?

Saturday, January 31, 2015

Onye Nkuzi Writes| M.I. Okpara - an unsung Nigerian hero.

African political and social commentator Okwu
Nwachinaemelu, also known as Onye Nkuzi (@cchukudebelu) talked at
length about Michael Okpara.

I have collected some of his tweets on Michael Okpara.

" H/t to @UtomiPat . Awo
rolled out free education in
the Western Region. Zik &
M.I. Okpara wanted to do the
same, but there were
problems."

"2. Oil Palm was not as
lucrative as Cocoa, so by
1957, the Eastern Region was
spending 40% of its budget
on education. Still not
enough."

'' 3. Jerome Udoji (Permanent
Secretary of Education) told
Zik & M.I. free education
couldn't be funded, primary 1
- 5 should pay fees."

"5. The philosophy was
simple - the burden of
education would be shared;
cooperation between
missionaries, communities
and government."

" 6. "Ibu Anyi Danda" was
successful. The Eastern
Region was able to bridge the
educational gap with the
West. Historical records are
there."

" 7. M.I.Okpara was not
perfect (he's the man on my
avi), but I think Ndigbo and
Nigeria don't give the man
enough credit. He was good."

" 8. "Ibu Anyi Danda"
illustrates the difference
between Civilian and Military
regimes. Civilians are a
liberty to "think outside the
box"."

" 9. Military regimes were
either down right corrupt or
tried to turn Nigeria into one
massive barracks. In both
cases, lack of ideas."

"10. Was the policy of
"essential commodities" in
1983 or SAP in 1986 the best
response to Nigeria's woes?
No. Was there a debate? No."

" My prayer is that Igbo leaders
like @realalexotti will study
M.I Okpara. Remember this
"ibu anyi danda".

" Most young Igbos know
absolutely nothing about M.I.
Okpara. We do ourselves a
great disservice by not
teaching history."

" The point is this - Awo
tackled education differently
from Zik & M.I. Okpara. In
Military regimes it was
regimented "one size fits all".

Follow @BnSpeaks

No comments: